[rspec-users] rails rspec silently failing

Will Schenk wschenk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 11:27:26 EST 2008

Ok I think I've figured out the command that makes rspec blow up.

I'm creating the mock object like this:
   def prepare_order_mock
     $GCHECKOUT_FRONTEND = mock "gcheckout"
     @co_cmd_mock = mock "checkout_command"
     @shopping_cart = mock "shopping cart"

     @private_data = nil

$
GCHECKOUT_FRONTEND.should_receive(:create_checkout_command).and_return
{ @co_cmd_mock }
     @co_cmd_mock.should_receive( "continue_shopping_url=" )
     @co_cmd_mock.should_receive( "shopping_cart", 2 ).and_return
{ @shopping_cart }
     @shopping_cart.should_receive "create_item"
     @shopping_cart.should_receive( "private_data=" ).and_return do |
data|
       @private_data = data
     end

@co_cmd_mock.should_receive( "send_to_google_checkout" ).and_return do
       res = mock( "result" )
       res.should_receive( "redirect_url" ).and_return{ "url string" }
       res

Then when my code calls:

     command = $GCHECKOUT_FRONTEND.create_checkout_command
     command.continue_shopping_url = continue_url

The second line makes rspec silently blow up.  If I comment it out
then it runs fine.