[rspec-users] OT local version control?

Dan North tastapod at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 05:19:42 EST 2008

Hi Corey.

I recently discovered a rather excellent online book:
http://hgbook.red-bean.com/

It's about mercurial but it's a) largely scm-agnostic and b) really well
written, with some useful diagrams about how changesets work in the small
and collaboration models in the large (i.e. exactly what you were asking
about).

I also discovered a "deal-breaker" feature of mercurial that I hadn't
realised before, which is that it tracks changes across copies and renames
of files. Or rather, what I hadn't realised is that other SCMs don't do
this. This was what was crippling me with subversion - I had a branch where
I had done some quite aggressive refactoring (which means files getting
moved and/or renamed), and subversion wouldn't merge the changes from the
branch onto trunk.