[rspec-users] BDD and TDD (was "Newbie question with rspec on rails")

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:19:17 EST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 7:51 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008 1:20 AM, Pat Maddox <pergesu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > For some info on why BDD kicks TDD's butt ...
>
> Woah!
>
> I find this deeply disturbing. I believe your heart is in the right
> place here, so please don't take this as a personal attack, but this
> statement reflects a view that I see expressed quite often and I think
> we need to set the record straight on a few things.
>
> To be clear, what I'm about to express are my personal views and may
> not align with those of Dan, Dave, Aslak and others who are driving
> the BDD discussion.
>
> This is not a contest between approaches.

I'm pretty bad at the tongue-in-cheek thing.

What I think newcomers to BDD will find - and that's because BDD
advocates tend to explain this very well - is that BDD is strongly
rooted in TDD, XP, and domain-driven design.

My favorite way to explain BDD is:

There's a quote that says "Seek not to follow in the footsteps of
masters, seek what they sought."  BDD presents the "seek what they
sought" as first-level knowledge.

I apologize for making a statement that might suggest there's a
conflict where there isn't one.

Pat