[rspec-users] Development Cycle

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 02:14:25 EST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008 9:19 PM, Nathan Sutton <nathan.sutton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys, I'm trying to work out the order of development for features
> in an app.  I'm struggling with using stories to drive development.
>
> So when looking at things, it seems to me to be the best idea to first
> write stories, then view specs, then controller specs, then model
> specs...but how to actually do it is what confuses me.  Anyone know of
> any screencasts or tutorials working through the development of a
> feature in this way?

hrm...yeah it's a little tough.  I think we're all still figuring it
out a bit and there's not a lot of solid info.  I personally feel that
my understanding has developed a bunch since I made my last Story
Runner screencast, so maybe I'll try to put one out another one next
weekend.

Here's what I do, in a nutshell:

Write out a story, without implementing any of the step runners
Write the step runner implementations to get an idea of what stuff
I'll need to make it run
Delete those step implementations - that was just to get the blood flowing
Write the first step implementation
Drop out of the story and start writing specs for the behavior I need
to pass the story step
When that step is passing, I head back to the story and work on the next step
Rinse, repeat
???
profit!

Hope that's enough to get you started, in addition to the good links
that Ben posted.  And like I said, I'd like to do a new screencast
this weekend.

Pat