[rspec-users] OT local version control?

Corey Haines coreyhaines at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 12:45:31 EST 2008

I'll check that out, too, Luis. Thanks!

I'm currently reading up on mercurial, and it is very enlightening. I'll
admit that, being a .net developer by trade, I've not really been privy to
some of the stuff going on in scm, mostly stuck at a company still using
sourcesafe. Please no comments about how it isn't really scm. :) I'm
definitely getting a mind-opener reading the mercurial site.

My basic need right now is to be able to keep history of my project (Coupon
Tracker:
http://www.coreyhaines.com/coreysramblings/2008/02/03/TrackingEntertainmentBookSavingsInRailsPartIIIWhyArentYouUsingIt.aspx).
While I'm learning RoR, I want to be able to roll back to a previous version
if I mess things up too much. :) I'm starting to add some AJAX stuff to the
site, and I want to make sure that I can revert when I misuse it. :)

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

-Corey

On Feb 3, 2008 12:23 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2008 3:13 PM, Corey Haines <coreyhaines at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks to everyone for their comments, as well as the lack of SCM
> fighting.
> > :) Being on vista, it appears that my choices are a bit limited.
> >

> I don't know about Vista, but being using bzr (http://bazaar-vcs.org/)
> for 8 months and the shift from tradition centralized repositories
> (svn, cvs) to distributed was a joy.
>
> It also doesn't hide you under the same checkout all your branches (to
> avoid costly disk space?)
>
> Anyway, not starting the fight... not now, but I leave you with a link
> comparing Bzr to Git [1] and Bzr to Hg (Mercurial) [2]
>
> On a side note, I'll like to point that it allow you push branches to
> websites using just dumb protocols like ftp and http for retrieving,
> with is something sueful for someone with lack ssh or git server
> capability on their hosting providers.
>
> I'm using it to push new development of One-Click Ruby Installer [3]
>
> [1] http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrVsGit
> [2] http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrVsHg
> [3]
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/1e2f1b9a3d611e3b
>
> --
> Luis Lavena
> Multimedia systems
> -
> A common mistake that people make when trying to design
> something completely foolproof is to underestimate
> the ingenuity of complete fools.
> Douglas Adams

http://www.coreyhaines.com
The Internet's Premiere source of information about Corey Haines