[rspec-users] deep test with rspec?

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Sat Feb 2 21:17:35 EST 2008

Scott Taylor wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2008, at 12:09 PM, Ben Mabey wrote:
>

>> Ben Mabey wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>> Has anyone on this list tried to use DeepTest[1] with rspec?  My
>>> initial
>>> attempts have failed so I would be really interested if someone has
>>> figured it out.  Thanks.
>>>
>>> -Ben
>>>
>>> 1. http://www.somethingnimble.com/bliki/deep-test
>>>

>> Or maybe someone has some experience with spec_distributed they could
>> share?  I'm just trying to see if I can get my specs to run faster
>> on my
>> multi-core machines....
>>

> I haven't used deep test (this was by Dan Manges / Thoughtworks,
> correct?).  If I recall correctly, it only worked on test/unit.  I
> don't know if anyone else was working on a version for rspec...

Right.. There were some comments in Dan's original post about someone
working on rspec compatibility but as far as I can tell that never made
it into the gem.
> As for spec_distributed, I had gotten it working, and as I recall, it
> was pretty easy to do (at least, on a non-rails project).  The
> documentation for that is pretty straight forward.  It solves the
> speed problem by throwing hardware at the problem - If you have n
> number of machines, your test suite should take 1/n the amount of
> time it usually does on one machine (assuming the machines of equal
> processing power).

Does this really address the use of multicores on a single machine
then?  The only use I could see of this would be for running your CI
faster over a number of machines...
Thanks for you input,

Ben