[rspec-users] deep test with rspec?

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Sat Feb 2 17:10:20 EST 2008

On Feb 2, 2008, at 12:09 PM, Ben Mabey wrote:

> Ben Mabey wrote:
>> All,
>> Has anyone on this list tried to use DeepTest[1] with rspec?  My
>> initial
>> attempts have failed so I would be really interested if someone has
>> figured it out.  Thanks.
>>
>> -Ben
>>
>> 1. http://www.somethingnimble.com/bliki/deep-test
>>
> Or maybe someone has some experience with spec_distributed they could
> share?  I'm just trying to see if I can get my specs to run faster
> on my
> multi-core machines....

I haven't used deep test (this was by Dan Manges / Thoughtworks,
correct?).  If I recall correctly, it only worked on test/unit.  I
don't know if anyone else was working on a version for rspec...

As for spec_distributed, I had gotten it working, and as I recall, it
was pretty easy to do (at least, on a non-rails project).  The
documentation for that is pretty straight forward.  It solves the
speed problem by throwing hardware at the problem - If you have n
number of machines, your test suite should take 1/n the amount of
time it usually does on one machine (assuming the machines of equal
processing power).

Happy Hacking,

Scott