[rspec-users] newbie: need help to write the spec for helper

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 10:49:53 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 4:21 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Nasir Jamal <nas35_in at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am a rspec newbie, can anyone guide me on how to write a spec for the
> > below helper.
> >
> > module MyHelper
> >  def test
> >    link_to('MyLink', resources_path) if @categories || @sub_categories
> >  end
> > end
> >
> > @categories is an instance of Category model
> > @sub_categories is an instance of SubCategory model
>
> Take a look at http://rspec.info/documentation/rails/writing/helpers.html.
> You can use assigns[:categories] and assigns[:sub_categories] to make
> the necessary data available to the helper.

Technically you can do it that way, but personally I don't recommend that
approach in most cases. Testing modules is similar to testing private
methods, and the general advice is: Don't do it.

Instead, test module methods and private methods indirectly via the
class/object that uses them. For modules this means: Write a spec for a
class that includes the module (in Rails this is a controller or view).

Aslak