[rspec-users] BDD or SDD?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 14:17:07 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 12:17 PM, aslak hellesoy
<aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 6:52 PM, aidy lewis <aidy.lewis at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Is there a difference between Behaviour-Driven-Development and
>> Story-Driven-Development? Is Story-Driven-Development a more accurate
>> description of using Cucumber as a Story Runner?
> Excellent question,
> I think the more common term is STDD (Story Test Driven Development).
> There is ATDD (Acceptance-Test Driven Development too) ;-)

And ATDP - Acceptance Test Driven Planning - which is subtly different
from STDD and ATDD in that it prescribes that scenarios are derived in
the iteration planning meeting as an estimation tool.

> They are all variations on the same theme and only marginally different IMO.
> The biggest difference seems to be that different people and groups promote
> them and talk about them in slightly different ways, and emphasise the
> various techniques differently. My personal take is that BDD *is* ATDD/STDD,
> but with an additional emphasis on Business value and getting the words
> right. I'm not sure how ATDD and STDD are different.

Me neither, but I think that ATDP is really what BDD is after (*hears
a chorus of the LBJ song from hair*).