[rspec-users] BDD or SDD?

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 13:17:31 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 6:52 PM, aidy lewis <aidy.lewis at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there a difference between Behaviour-Driven-Development and
> Story-Driven-Development? Is Story-Driven-Development a more accurate
> description of using Cucumber as a Story Runner?

Excellent question,

I think the more common term is STDD (Story Test Driven Development).
There is ATDD (Acceptance-Test Driven Development too) ;-)

They are all variations on the same theme and only marginally different IMO.
The biggest difference seems to be that different people and groups promote
them and talk about them in slightly different ways, and emphasise the
various techniques differently. My personal take is that BDD *is* ATDD/STDD,
but with an additional emphasis on Business value and getting the words
right. I'm not sure how ATDD and STDD are different.

Maybe the best place to get a good balance of viewpoints on this topic is in
a tool-agnostic forum - maybe this one:
http://groups.google.com/group/behaviordrivendevelopment (I don't know of
any STDD or ATDD forums).

There are good articles about ATDD and STDD here:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/sqe/bettersoftware0908/ (page 24-29)