[rspec-users] how to check for empty field value?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 10:11:22 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Jonathan Linowes
<jonathan at parkerhill.com> wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2008, at 12:56 AM, Josh Knowles wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Jonathan Linowes
>> <jonathan at parkerhill.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> # Then /^the email_confirmation field should be cleared$/ do
>>> #   #how to write this ????
>>> #   #selector( "input[name=user[email_confirmation]")[:value].should
>>> be_blank
>>> # end
>>
>> Are you using Webrat?  If so try:
>>
>> field_labeled("Email Confirmation").value.should be_nil
>>

> I'll try that, but by the method name, I assume it looks for a <label> tag
> for the field rather than the name attribute of the <input> ?

That is correct, and encourages a good habit of associating labels
with input fields in the HTML. That way, steps can say things like
"the Email Confirmation field should be empty" instead of "the
email_confirmation field should be empty."

If you don't want to be encouraged to do that, you can use this instead:

  field_with_id('user_email_confirmation').value.should be_blank

or some such.

HTH,
David