[rspec-users] Cucumber speed tips

Mischa Fierer f.mischa at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 03:08:29 EST 2008

As some of us have been using cucumber for quite a while now, I may not be
the only one wishing his many steps ran a bit faster.

Let's try to put together a quick FAQ for people looking to speed up their

Here's my ideas:

1) Consolidate steps
You only need to test login for each login case, not for each time you are
testing some sort of logged in functionality.
In most cases you can just post to sessions/create rather than filling in a
login form.

1a) Don't use GivenScenario
Instead, make one step that will quickly do what the scenario you want to
start at the end of does. E.g. rather than fill in a form and post to a
controller to create an object, just create the object in its own step.

2) Use the profiler format
I've only tried this a few times, but the profile formatting appears to be

Anybody else have any tips?