[rspec-users] [ANN] Cucumber 0.1.13

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 06:10:12 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net> wrote:

> On 20 Dec 2008, at 21:02, aslak hellesoy wrote:
>
>  It's time for some new features again. Output is now much better since you
>> can use diffing, tweak
>> the output colours and get the full --backtrace if you want. Managing your
>> support/* files became
>> a little easier since they are now always loaded before the step
>> definitions. Life became easier
>> for Windows users in Norway (and other countries using unicode in the
>> features). Plus several other
>> bug fixes.
>>

> What's this about support/* files? Is there some convention emerging around
> structuring the features directory that I've missed?

This is where the Rails Cucumber generator puts the env.rb file. It seems to
emerge as a layout for non-Rails projects too. Put the non- step definition
ruby files that Cucumber needs here.

> It would be cool to hear more from people about how they do this. I have a
> feeling our structure at work could be better, but I'm not sure what other
> models are out there.

I think your structure seems good. There is no one-size-fits-all here. It
does seem common that people have some Ruby code that needs to be loaded
prior to the step definitions, and for the time being Cucumber will look in
support first. It would be nice to provide a similar kind of feature for
projects tha are laid out differently. However, it should be possible to
achieve with cucumber.yml.