[rspec-users] why does "ruby <spec_file>" work, but "rake spec" give spec errors?

Greg Hauptmann greg.hauptmann.ruby at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 20:54:29 EST 2008

Hi,

Here's an example (below) of the errors I get when I run "rake spec",
however they don't occur when I run "spec <specfile>".   The issue seems to
be that when I call a help method which is "included" there is a point it
adds an interest rate row to a table.  In the successful case it appears
this works, but in the unsuccessful case it seems the row didn't get
created.

Doesn't rspec clean out the database between each test?  (i.e. like for
each:  it "should do X")  Just trying to understand how things could clash?

1)
'Recurring.add_projections (interest) should raise exception if recurring
items specifies person_id how-ever amount fields are invalid' FAILED
expected: 8.0,
     got: nil (using ==)
./spec/models/recurring/projections_spec.rb:330:

2)
'Recurring.add_projections (interest) should put allocation in place when
recurring item specifies person_id & amount fields valid' FAILED
expected: 8.0,
     got: nil (using ==)
./spec/models/recurring/projections_spec.rb:330:

  def load_bank_account_base_fixtures
    lambda {BankAccount.delete_all}.should_not raise_error
    @destn_bank = BankAccount.new(:name => "Bank_Destn", :active => true)
    @destn_bank.save!
    ir = InterestRate.new(:rate => 8.0,         # <== SEEMS THIS ISN'T THERE
FOR UNSUCCESSFUL CASE
      :start_date => Time.now.to_date.years_ago(1),
      :bank_account_id => @destn_bank.id
    )
    ir.save!
  end