[rspec-users] [Cucumber] a few clarifications please...

Tim Walker walketim at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 15:34:59 EST 2008

Hi Guys,

Things are working great with Cucumber and am getting better at
expressing requirements as behaviors. Kudos!

I seek a couple of points of clarification, or confirmation, if
someone has a minute or two...

FWIW - I've read the wiki and the given-when-then page and just seek

There is no dependency implied in the keywords "given", "then" and
"when" (as well as "and" and "but), correct? These are simply naming
conventions that denote the well known "Build/Operate/Check" pattern
but have no real physical relationship, they're just tags that denote
the steps.

A "pending" step is any step that has a matching step but nothing is

A "successful" step is any step that is matched, has some code and
doesn't assert anything resolving to false.

A "gray" out step means that no steps were found that matched the feature.

You need to be careful that features do not match steps in the step
file or cucumber will execute the first step it finds that matches
(really don't know how this works, will a test sequence ever go

Going back and changing the stuff in the .feature file is risky as
it's very easy to create a mismatch and the step won't be found.

Thanks very much,