[rspec-users] Best practices for developing a rails plugin (extending ActiveRecord) with rspec?

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 13:03:10 EST 2008

Ingo Weiss <ingo at ingoweiss.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am developing a rails plugin/gem with rspec. The plugin extends
> ActiveRecord, so the specs basically needs a complete environment with
> database access to run. What is a good way to set this up in a way
> that can be bundled with the plugin, maybe in the form of a stripped-
> down rails and a sqlite db?
>
> Ingo

Hey Ingo,

http://github.com/pat-maddox/rspec-plugin-generator/tree/master is a
generator that allows you to easily generate plugins that use rspec, and
will also set up a database if you pass it the --with-database option.
Should be pretty self-explanatory if you generate one and look at the
code.

http://github.com/pat-maddox/acts_as_value_object/tree/master is a gem
that I'm working on, extends activerecord as you need to do.  Should be
helpful.

Pat