[rspec-users] cucumber custom formatters

Emmanuel Pinault seatmanu at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 19:22:01 EST 2008

> Is the explanation of --format not clear? Have you tried:
>
> cucumber -r my_formatter -f MyFormatter mytest.feature

Yes, I tried that too and it is not working still. I started to digg
in the cli.rb and clearly there is a registration process happening in
the build_formatter_broadcaster.
But somehow it is not finding my formatter .. trying to debug it more

> also, is there a place to understand all the available hooks and
> order they are called? Looking at the html, pretty and progress , I
> can see a lot of available hooks with some that requires to call an
> accept method...
>
> What do you mean by hooks? This? http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/wikis/hooks

Sorry I should have been more clear about the hooks.. I meant the
formatter hooks. I see the main one used in the pretty_formatter and
that are called by the executor. But It seems in the html_formatter
that you are even using some other hook (likely those are called
during the tree parsing ... just a guess) but cannot see all the one
that are available and when. I am actually writing formatter to
understand the order of calls.

> #accept is part of the internal API to traverse the internal
> structure of features. It's using the visitor pattern. Are you
> familiar with that?
Yes  I am and notice you use that pattern but I am not familiar with
treetop. But seems a bit complicated for a custom reporter to have to
mess with that. the HTML Report clearly will break without those calls
at the right place...
so a simple diagram would hel understanding how calls are made. Once I
am able to rrun that custom report, I can try to make one and send it
to you to add to the wiki

Thanks

Emmannuel