[rspec-users] Using resource_controller (make_resourceful etc) and testing the

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Thu Dec 11 13:19:12 EST 2008

Andrew Premdas wrote:
> Hi all,
> Trying to get some opinions about the use of such plugins and in
> particular about how they test, and how we test with them. Can they
> work well with BDD or do they do to much magic and create difficulties
> for features and tests

Hey Andrew,
Controllers using such plugins should not pose any difficulty wrapping
features around them at all.  How are they any different from any other
controller from the request point-of-view?  My current thinking on the
matter is this:  Use features, but skip the controller specs.  The
features verify the actual behaviour of them alongside the rest of the
stack and provide me with the best confidence that I'm using the plugin
correctly and giving the end-users the functionality that the app needs
to.  I don't see controller specs adding any additional value at this
point.  We would simply be testing the plugin's code over and over
again...  There is also no design benefit from mocking/stubbing the
plugins code either.
That is what I have been doing for all the standard RESTful actions.  If
I ever need to vary from the basic behaviour that is provided from the
plugins then I then start adding controller specs for that deviating
behaviour.  At which point I will stub out what I need to to make the
plugin work.