[rspec-users] Test for a gem/plugin?

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Dec 10 12:40:03 EST 2008

Ashley Moran wrote:

> Don't confuse library code with code you write to use this library.
> The AuthLogic config in your app is code too, and it adds behaviours
> to your app.  The fact there are 10, 100 or 10,000 lines of code
> behind it is irrelevant.

So, if I understand you correctly, then I should write features somewhat
like this:

Scenario: A known user signs in successfully
  Given a known user "myuser" with a password "myuserpassword"
  When user "myuser" signs on with a password "myuserpassword"
  Then user "myuser" is authenticated
    And the user sees a sign in success message

Scenario: A known user does not sign in successfully
  Given a known user "myuser" with a password "myuserpassword"
  When user "myuser" signs in with a password "anotherpassword"
  Then user "myuser" is not authenticated
    And the user sees a sign in failure message
    And the user sees the sign in page

And I should simply not worry about what is provided by authlogic, other
than the requisite behaviour as exhibited in this application.

> Hope this gives another perspective on the subject.

I am still grappling with the entire concept.  A "perspective" graces
what I as yet possess with too much dignity.

Thanks.