[rspec-users] Cucumber fat client

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Tue Dec 9 11:51:44 EST 2008

steven shingler wrote:
> Hey Aslak,
>
> Doesn't this sound a bit like your Kipling project, which we spoke
> about at QCon London, back in March? ;)
>
> (http://gitorious.org/projects/kipling)
>
> I think it would be a great app to have, which would work well inside
> a web browser, rather than a fat client that customers and managers
> have to download...?
+1, I think keeping it in the browser will work well for most
situations.  One option is to make it a flex app and could then be used
as a stand-alone Air app. WDYT?

I have been thinking about the requirements for such a project and I
think having it git-powered would be great.  Having the stakeholder to
be able to edit features and have the changes show up in a remote branch
automatically would be a great feature IMO.  If it is powered off of git
we also get versioning and a lot of other stuff for free.  (I would
recommend watching Scott Chacoon's presentation on using git in this way
from ruby conf:
http://rubyconf2008.confreaks.com/using-git-in-ruby-applications.html)

Anyways, thats my two cents.  I would argue that most business people
these days are just as, if not more, comfortable in a browser than they
are in Excel as long as the UI is good.  Of course, having clients for
both would be ideal. :)

-Ben