[rspec-users] Cucumber fat client

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Tue Dec 9 10:17:08 EST 2008

On 9 Dec 2008, at 15:11, aslak hellesoy wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 3:52 PM, steven shingler <shingler at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Hey Aslak,
>
> Doesn't this sound a bit like your Kipling project, which we spoke
> about at QCon London, back in March? ;)
>
> (http://gitorious.org/projects/kipling)
>
> A little bit, but the idea with Kipling was to make something
> similar to ThoughtWorks Mingle or Pivotal Tracker, which are tools
> to manage stories, iterations, estimates, burndown etc.
>
> My goal with a fat Cucumber client is different (although it clearly
> intersects):
> * Browse features
> * Edit features
> * Run features

I think that some kind of autocomplete / syntax highlighting that
understands the currently-implemented set of step matchers would be
really useful too - I already find myself wondering whether I've
already implemented a step as I write the scenario.

> So I'm thinking more along the lines of Fitnesse, but with a more
> business-friendly UI, and focus on Cucumber (of course).
>
> Essentially - I want this to be primarily a tool that replaces
> TextMate and the CLI for editing and running features, and not so
> much a Scrum/XP planning tool. And the target audience is not us
> programmers (most of us are happy in TM/CLI) - it's the non-techies
> that know Word and Excel only (and are experts in their business'
> domain).

It would be good if it could integrate into a a planning tool though -
offer an API that returned the number of Running Tested Features, etc.

> I think it would be a great app to have, which would work well
> inside a web browser, rather than a fat client that customers and
> managers have to download...?

+1

Matt Wynne
http://blog.mattwynne.net