[rspec-users] Stories, permissions, authorization rules etc.

Alberto Perdomo alberto.perdomo at aentos.es
Mon Dec 8 19:03:33 EST 2008

Hi,

my team and i have come to the point where we have defined a whole
bunch of stories for an application.
Almost all of the actions (besides login, etc.) should *not* be
accesible if not logged in.
Almost all of the actions require a specific user role.

So, my question is. How do you put that in stories?
I have come up with these different options:

1) In each story, e.g. 'Add a new issue', 'Comment issue', etc. you
define a few extra scenarios more or less like this:

Scenario: Permission denied if not logged in
Given i am not logged in
When i visit 'issues/new'
I should see Permission denied
And i should not see 'Add Issue'

Scenario: Permission denied if role not developer
Given i am logged in
And my role is not developer
When i visit 'issues/new'
I should see Permission denied
And i should not see 'Add Issue'

2) You could write a separate story (or multiple separate stories)
just for the matter of describing permissions and authorizarion rules.

3) You could just write scenarios for the role requirements (like 1)
and leave the logged_in scenario out, giving for granted that you are
going to make all actions inaccesible without logging in.

I prefer option 1 although it feels not DRY. I think explicit stories
are good, and such important things as permissions etc. should not be
left out. My mates argue that there has to be a better solutions than
taking 50 stories and adding 2 o 3 scenarios that look more or less
the same to each of them.

I don't like 2 because it breaks the granularity of the stories.
Stories should be more or less independant from each other. If you
decide not to implement a specific story then you would have to edit
again the permissions story. Also the permissions story will not pass
until you have implemented all the scenarios = until you have
implemented all the actions involved.

I don't like 3 because it is against testing philosophy.You should not
rely on the memory of humans. That's one of the reasons to write
stories. Theoretically you could write something like a scenario that
goes through all your app routes and checks if they are accessible.

So tell me.
How do you do such things?
Do you have any other approaches?
It's important to us from a cucumber/rspec perspective (how do you
test it?) but also from a requirements perspective (where do you write
down that part when gathering the user stories?).

Cheers!
Alberto.