[rspec-users] Where to start after writing feature

Stephen Veit srveit at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 16:36:50 EST 2008

I am trying to develop code from the feature on down.

So I created a brand new rails app. It has no models yet. I wrote a feature:

Feature: Add tasks
  In order to track website improvements
  a user
  wants to add tasks

  Scenario: User adds task
    Given task "Display Group Rules" does not exist
    When I visit "/tasks/new"
    And I fill in "Name" with "Display Group Rules"
    And I fill in "Description" with "Displays links to edit each group
rule"
    And I fill in "CAS Link" with "GroupRulesManager/"
    And I press "Submit"
    Then I should end up on the Tasks page
    And I should see "Task successfully added"
    And the task "Display Group Rules" should exist

I then run:

rake db:migrate (this creates my development SQLite3 database)
rake db:test:prepare (this creates my development SQLite3 database)
rake features (outputs the following:)

Feature: Add tasks  # features/manage_task.feature
  In order to track website improvements
  a user
  wants to add tasks
  Scenario: User adds task
    Given task "Display Group Rules" does not exist
    When I visit "/tasks/new"
    And I fill in "Name" with "Display Group Rules"
    And I fill in "Description" with "Displays links to edit each group
rule"
    And I fill in "CAS Link" with "GroupRulesManager/"
    And I press "Submit"
    Then I should end up on the Tasks page
    And I should see "Task successfully added"
    And the task "Display Group Rules" should exist

5 steps skipped
4 steps pending

You can use these snippets to implement pending steps:

Given /^task "Display Group Rules" does not exist$/ do
end

When /^I visit "\/tasks\/new"$/ do
end

Then /^I should end up on the Tasks page$/ do
end

Then /^the task "Display Group Rules" should exist$/ do
end

My question is where to go from here. Do I implement the four pending steps,
e.g:

Given /^task "(.+)" does not exist$/ do |name|
  task = Task.find_by_name(name)
  task.destroy if task
end

Or do I run:

 ./script/generate scaffold_resource task name:string description:text
cas_link:string

and the rake rspec and fix whatever errors show up there?

What are your thoughts? TIA

--
Stephen Veit
314-616-9688