[rspec-users] cucumber and autotest - running all features?

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Fri Dec 5 04:47:16 EST 2008

On 5 Dec 2008, at 07:21, Aslak Hellesøy wrote:

>> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> WDYT? Possible?
>>
>> Possibly.  :)
>>
>> That does sound like it might be possible.  On the other hand, in
>> practice, I've found that the current implementation works the way
>> I'd
>> want it to at least 95% of the time.
>
> Agree. Sounds like a micro optimisation. A little too complex/clever
> for my liking.

I'll have to give autospec another shot then I guess. I have given up
on it as it takes over 7 minutes to 'boot up' with our test suite, and
I find it misses too many things it should have run, such that I have
to hit CTRL-C and do a complete (7 minute) re-run far more often than
I'd like. I also don't trust it before a check-in - it seems to miss
things that should have been re-run.

I guess this may more be due to our codebase being a bit badly
organised so that the conventions autospec relies on aren't always
adhered to...

>> Personally, I'm not terribly
>> inclined to do all the work to make it more intelligent.  But if
>> you'd
>> like to give it a shot, I'm certainly curious to see if it can work.

:) My barrier is reading the coverage.data files, although thinking
about it it should be possible to parse the HTML report quite
easily... hmmmm....

Matt Wynne
http://blog.mattwynne.net
http://www.songkick.com