[rspec-users] stepping across features

Andrew Premdas apremdas at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 01:01:44 EST 2008

James,

I think this is where the art or craft comes in. Features are a great tool,
but being such a great tool I think its very easy to become tempted to
overuse them. People in software keeps on looking for the silver bullet.
They find something new, overuse it, become frustrated by it, move on to
something else and the cycle begins again. From this comes alot of
innovation, but also alot of frustration and waste.

The second point I'd like to make is that testing is really hard. IMO its
much harder than writing functionality so you can expect to struggle. And
its not just about actually getting things tested, but its also about

- deciding what to implement
- deciding what to test
- deciding how to test
- organising your tests so they communicate your intention clearly
- cover your functionality
... (lots more)

All software projects are entropic. That is if you don't put a continuous
input of energy into them they will become chaotic. You can use features to
counter this chaos to add order to your project or you can just use them to
test things. If you use them just to test things your missing out though on
their fundamental purpose which is to express clearly what the intention of
a project is with a secondary benefit of providing a mechanism to execute
those intentions and see if they are met.

So back to your original question where does all the detail go? Well
acceptance tests start from the general and go to the specific, so detail
comes further down some sort of heirarchy. Thing is you haven't got a
hierarchy yet so you don't know where to put things. I'm in a similar
situation with the code I'm working on and its real tempting to start
putting in all that detail in the features, but I'd suggest really trying
hard to avoid that. Basically if you need detail refactor your feature so
that you don't and create new scenarios to deal with the detail only when
you have to. In the end you can have most of the detail in your step
definitions and use the nesting of steps to build more complex stories.

I've put my example app on github. It has a refactoring of the
restful-authentication stories following these principles, perhaps it will
give you some ideas

http://github.com/diabolo/fbrp/tree/master

All best

Andrew