[rspec-users] stepping across features

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Thu Dec 4 17:56:37 EST 2008

On 4 Dec 2008, at 21:39, James Byrne wrote:

> I had, at one point, the idea that, at least in the beginning, I would
> do most of this detail expression in the form of feature steps.  The
> advice I have received has caused to reflect on whether this is a
> desirable course to take.  However, I can see no obvious alternative
> other than to bury the design requirements in rspec specs or testunit
> tests, both of which seems to defeat the idea of having users drive
> the
> project.
> Am I missing something obvious here?

You're not, don't worry! This is definitely an emerging practice, and
you aren't going to find any 'correct answers'. See this thread for a
lengthy discussion on the same topic:

> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/171444#new

FWIW, my view is becoming: if in doubt, put it in the Acceptance
Tests. These ATs are proving themselves to be less brittle than my
unit tests, and therefore much more valuable.

Matt Wynne