[rspec-users] Rails project as a template for other projects (off topic)

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Thu Dec 4 14:14:46 EST 2008

On Dec 4, 2008, at 1:34 PM, Andrew Premdas wrote:

> This is of topic but I have a feeling I might get some useful advice
> here - hope you don't mind
>
> I've created a rails project that I want to use as a basis for other
> rails project. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on workflow
> for doing this sort of thing, especially dealing with updating
> projects as the base project gets improved.
>
> My base project might be of interest to people here, its basically
>
> Vanilla Rails project with added rspec, cucumber, haml, compass,
> object_daddy, webrat and restful-authentication (RA). Then the RA
> stories have been replaced with features which are specifically
> designed to be simple enough that I can understand them with simple
> steps as well. The RA forms have been hamlized and made to work
> properly with webrat (have proper labels) and finally a couple of
> tweaks have been added so you can login with email (optional) and
> the remember_me stuff works.
>
> I'm using GIT for SCM
>
> Anyhow any ideas ?

Just keep that base repository, and clone it for a new project.

If you have updates for the base-repository, then commit there.  Git
allows you to add and fetch from totally different repositories:

git remote add git at my_remote base-project
git fetch base-project
git merge base-project/master

Scott