[rspec-users] Rails project as a template for other projects (off topic)

Nick Hoffman nick at deadorange.com
Thu Dec 4 13:59:59 EST 2008

On 2008-12-04, at 13:34, Andrew Premdas wrote:
> This is of topic but I have a feeling I might get some useful advice
> here - hope you don't mind
>
> I've created a rails project that I want to use as a basis for other
> rails project. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on workflow
> for doing this sort of thing, especially dealing with updating
> projects as the base project gets improved.
>
> My base project might be of interest to people here, its basically
>
> Vanilla Rails project with added rspec, cucumber, haml, compass,
> object_daddy, webrat and restful-authentication (RA). Then the RA
> stories have been replaced with features which are specifically
> designed to be simple enough that I can understand them with simple
> steps as well. The RA forms have been hamlized and made to work
> properly with webrat (have proper labels) and finally a couple of
> tweaks have been added so you can login with email (optional) and
> the remember_me stuff works.
>
> I'm using GIT for SCM
>
> Anyhow any ideas ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew. This doesn't have to do with one's workflow, but I highly
recommend taking a look at Authlogic. It's an incredible
authentication system, and IMO, is much better than restful-
authentication.

As for creating a customised base Rails project, check out Suprails (http://github.com/listrophy/suprails
) and rg (http://github.com/jeremymcanally/rg/).

Cheers,