[rspec-users] Any plans for Before-feature or Before-all steps in Cucumber?

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 05:04:47 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Joseph Wilk <josephwilk at joesniff.co.uk>wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:01 PM, Ashley Moran <
> ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> On 3 Dec 2008, at 16:59, Ben Mabey wrote:
>>
>>  I agree with Ashley.  In the past I have done multiple profiles just as
>>> Joseph has suggested.  I have then modified my features task to serially run
>>> my different feature sets and profiles.  With that you do have one task you
>>> need to run.  However, it would still be very nice if these different
>>> profile types, even if not ran as the same process, could be grouped into a
>>> single report and given then appearance that it was one large process.  I
>>> understand the problems and difficulties of doing such a thing, but WDYT?
>>>  If we think there is enough value in such an aggregate feature set
>>>  runner/report and we can decide on the details then I would be willing to
>>> tackle it.
>>

> I think a nice way to facilitate one report from multiple cucumber runs is
> useful.

I think the way to go is to have a YAML formatter that can spit out reports
as YAML. Then several YAML reports can be read in.

My plan with the AST work is that the AST itself stores the results, so it
can be serialised and deserialised. This will make concatenating several
reports much easier.

> I'm currently resorting to 'cat'ing (yuck!) the different Cucumber reports
> to get one html report in the features rake task.
>
> Currently when you pass '--out file' to Cucumber it truncates the file. We
> could have it open the file for appending. That sounds like a simple
> solution to forming one report from multiple runs.
>
> You would still get the (minor) problem I have when 'cat'ing the files
> (HTML reports with multiple html heads).
>

> >given then appearance that it was one large process.
>
> Where you thinking about giving the appearance of one process at the report
> level or the rake level?
>

>> Sounds like there's two issues here.  One is grouping features into run
>> sets (eg fast-running, slow-running; needs an external service, is
>> self-contained) the other is running features in a certain mode (eg against
>> mock-services, against live services; using HTML interface, using XML
>> interface).
>>
>> One solution to the first problem could be tagging the features/scenarios:
>>
>> Feature: blah
>>  Groups: slow
>>  As a...
>>
>>  Scenario: blah
>>    Groups: twitter web
>>
>> Or something.  Maybe?
>

> We currently have an issue on tagging but it will have to wait until Aslak
> has done his AST magic.

Just a heads up - planning to get started on this around Dec 15th.