[rspec-users] Any plans for Before-feature or Before-all steps in Cucumber?

Joseph Wilk josephwilk at joesniff.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 04:40:02 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:01 PM, Ashley Moran
<ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk>wrote:

> On 3 Dec 2008, at 16:59, Ben Mabey wrote:
>
>  I agree with Ashley.  In the past I have done multiple profiles just as
>> Joseph has suggested.  I have then modified my features task to serially run
>> my different feature sets and profiles.  With that you do have one task you
>> need to run.  However, it would still be very nice if these different
>> profile types, even if not ran as the same process, could be grouped into a
>> single report and given then appearance that it was one large process.  I
>> understand the problems and difficulties of doing such a thing, but WDYT?
>>  If we think there is enough value in such an aggregate feature set
>>  runner/report and we can decide on the details then I would be willing to
>> tackle it.

I think a nice way to facilitate one report from multiple cucumber runs is
useful.

I'm currently resorting to 'cat'ing (yuck!) the different Cucumber reports
to get one html report in the features rake task.

Currently when you pass '--out file' to Cucumber it truncates the file. We
could have it open the file for appending. That sounds like a simple
solution to forming one report from multiple runs.

You would still get the (minor) problem I have when 'cat'ing the files (HTML
reports with multiple html heads).

>given then appearance that it was one large process.

Where you thinking about giving the appearance of one process at the report
level or the rake level?

> Sounds like there's two issues here.  One is grouping features into run
> sets (eg fast-running, slow-running; needs an external service, is
> self-contained) the other is running features in a certain mode (eg against
> mock-services, against live services; using HTML interface, using XML
> interface).
>
> One solution to the first problem could be tagging the features/scenarios:
>
> Feature: blah
>  Groups: slow
>  As a...
>
>  Scenario: blah
>    Groups: twitter web
>
> Or something.  Maybe?

We currently have an issue on tagging but it will have to wait until Aslak
has done his AST magic.

http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/16211/tickets/54-tagging-scenarios

--
Joseph Wilk