[rspec-users] stepping across features

Mischa Fierer f.mischa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 18:48:38 EST 2008

James,

Hey, actual code might make it easier to help (maybe others disagree), but
here's a few things:

I'm assuming you're using rails, and has many through.

It sounds like you have something like

model: Picture (has many pagepictures, has many pages through pactures

model; Page (has many pagepictures, has many pictures through pagepictures.)

model PagePicture (belongs to page, belongs to picture) (plus some sort of
position attribute or something.

It sounds like you're testing the pages stuff and the pictures stuff in
separate features, but you need both for both features.

I might do soemthing like:

Given I have a page with a bunch of pictures

then in my step definitions do something like

Given ... do
PagePicture.create!(:position => 3, :picture_id => Picture.make, :page_id =>
Page.make)
end

This is using machinist (http://github.com/notahat/machinist/tree/master)
blueprints, which save a lot of time in features.

I tend to avoid calling steps in other steps, as right now it appears that
cucumber does not tell you which step within the step is pending if you have
it wrong, but just says that the entire one is pending. I prefer to separate
them. If it's something more complex than the above, I might make a method
that would do the creation, and then call it from both steps. So I guess
that is more like #2 of your question.

I'm sure there are much better ways of doing this though...just my strategy
so far.