[rspec-users] I want RSpec for CSS layout.

Joseph Wilk lists at ruby-forum.com
Sat Aug 30 15:38:59 EDT 2008

I do some CSS testing through selenium and screw-unit-server.
Mainly checking what the style properties of certain dom elements are
after executing some JavaScript.

I use selenium-grid to invoke the different browsers.

Defining what is 'correct' seems a big difficulty.

Sometimes a little variation in rendering is ok and in other designs it
breaks everything!

I've been playing with the idea of inspecting the position of elements
in a page from the dom and using this to generate a SVG layout style
document. I'm thinking more position rather than colours/fonts. At
somepoint when I'm happy with the design I can generate this SVG and
then check against this to see if the layout matches as things change.

Nice thing about SVG is that its easy to change and has a visual
representation to be inspected. The SVG becomes like the spec.

my two cents.
--
Joseph Wilk
http://www.joesniff.co.uk