[rspec-users] I want RSpec for CSS layout.

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Sat Aug 30 13:29:53 EDT 2008

On Aug 30, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Jay Levitt wrote:

> Scott Taylor wrote:
>> On Aug 29, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Dan North wrote:
>>> ooh, that would be lovely.
>>> LayoutBehave anyone?
>> Well, I don't see why there couldn't be one, assuming there was a
>> CSS parser out there.
>> I've started a treetop CSS2 parser, but just don't have the time to
>> devote to it.  Anyone interested?
> Ah, but a CSS parser wouldn't tell me if a browser bug had mis-
> rendered the page.  What I really want to do is automate the oh-so-
> common process of:
> 1. Make some seemingly trivial CSS change
> 2. See that it seems to work
> 3. Go about my day
> 4. Five days later, when I hit a different code path in IE6, notice
> that it looks funny and never used to
> 5. Try to bisect the version to see when it happened
> which has to happen in the browser (assuming that the browser passes
> its miscalculated X/Y coordinates back to the DOM properly).

Well, I see no reason why you couldn't build derivatives of the
compliant parser to match certain browsers.  Some of these bugs are
well known, especially the IE 5.5/6 box model ones.

Plus - if something *passed* in the parser, but *failed* in the
browser, it would be a legitimate bug with the parser (derivative).