[rspec-users] I want RSpec for CSS layout.

Jay Levitt lists-rspec at shopwatch.org
Sat Aug 30 10:52:48 EDT 2008

Scott Taylor wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Dan North wrote:
>
>> ooh, that would be lovely.
>>
>> LayoutBehave anyone?
>>

> Well, I don't see why there couldn't be one, assuming there was a CSS
> parser out there.
>
> I've started a treetop CSS2 parser, but just don't have the time to
> devote to it.  Anyone interested?

Ah, but a CSS parser wouldn't tell me if a browser bug had mis-rendered the
page.  What I really want to do is automate the oh-so-common process of:

1. Make some seemingly trivial CSS change
2. See that it seems to work
3. Go about my day
4. Five days later, when I hit a different code path in IE6, notice that it
looks funny and never used to
5. Try to bisect the version to see when it happened

which has to happen in the browser (assuming that the browser passes its
miscalculated X/Y coordinates back to the DOM properly).