[rspec-users] uploads with webrat in stories

Christopher Bailey chris at cobaltedge.com
Fri Aug 29 13:58:02 EDT 2008

I too would suggest trying attaches_file.  I use it in a few different
stories I have, and it works fine for me.  I don't believe I'm doing
anything nonstandard.  Here's the basics of what one of mine looks like
(stripped out some fills_in's, etc. to declutter the example):
  When "create a new hotel with photo from a '$source'" do |source|
    visits new_location_path
    fills_in 'Name', :with => 'Maui'
    attaches_file 'location_photo', File.join(Rails.root, 'stories',
'fixtures', 'BigPizza.jpg')
    clicks_button 'Save'
  end

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Ben Mabey <ben at benmabey.com> wrote:

> Jonathan Linowes wrote:
> > I've read through the messages on this list, and have file upload
> > specs working in my model and controller tests, using :file =>
> > ActionController::TestUploadedFile.new(filepath)
> >
> > But its not working in stories using webrat. I've tried
> >
> >     fills_in "foo[file]", :with => filepath
> > and
> >     fills_in "foo[file]", :with =>
> > ActionController::TestUploadedFile.new(filepath)
> >
> > both fail (0) when submit
> >     clicks_button 'Update'
> >
> > oddly, in either case, a browser get opened, with something like
> > file:///Users/jonathan/rails/myproject/tmp/webrat-1220026536.html
> > which is blank
> >
> > suggestions?
> >
> > thx
> > linoj

> I haven't been able to get the webrat uploading method (attaches_file)
> to work.... If you haven't tried that method give it a shot, but I
> haven't gotten it to work.  To upload in stories I have done this:
>
> csv_file = .....
> file_to_upload = ActionController::TestUploadedFile.new(csv_file.path,
> Mime::CSV)
> post my_path, "import_file" => file_to_upload
>

> In my story I didn't have other fields in the form so I didn't bother to
> investigate why webrat wasn't working.. the clear disadvantage of the
> way I used is that I'm doing the post directly.
>
> -Ben

Christopher Bailey
Cobalt Edge LLC
http://cobaltedge.com