[rspec-users] rake spec order of running tests

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 09:18:12 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Mark Wilden <mark at mwilden.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:51 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> My personal feeling is that the code examples should be able to run in
>> any arbitrary order and still pass (no dependencies between examples)
>
> I agree, which is why I said "clearly these tests need fixing."

Got it.

> Maybe a
> better suggestion would be to execute the tests in random order each time...

There's been some discussion of this but it never got completed.

> However, the point was that we didn't -know- there was an order dependency,
> and neither would the guy whose specs all passed before he went on vacation.

Any chance the different machines are windows and otherwise? By
default the files are loaded alphabetically, but that means different
things on windows machines (which treat alpha without regard to case)
and pretty much anything else.