[rspec-users] rake spec loads development environment

Jonathan Linowes jonathan at parkerhill.com
Tue Aug 19 17:35:21 EDT 2008

On Aug 19, 2008, at 5:08 PM, Jonathan Linowes wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Satish Gunnu wrote:
>
>> Yes I think that is what's happening in my case. is this how it is
>> supposed to work? or can we have rspec ignore the step to look at
>> development environment. thanks so much for all your help.
>
> you'll notice that vendor/plugins/rspec-rails/rspec.rake contains
> the line
>
> spec_prereq = File.exist?(File.join(RAILS_ROOT, 'config',
> 'database.yml')) ? "db:test:prepare" : :noop
>
> which you could change or comment out

note, I ran into this wanting to run through my specs on my
production server, which doesnt have a development environment but
does have a production one. So instead I run (via a cap  deploy:spec
task i wrote)

     rake spec RAILS_ENV=production

that way the db:test:prepare uses the production db rather than the
development one