[rspec-users] When to mock

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Tue Aug 19 10:21:14 EDT 2008

It's also, for me, nice to isolate the code I'm testing using mocks.
So if I'm building a controller and I mock out the behaviour I will
expect it to call on the model layer, I know that any failing tests
must be due to bugs in the controller class, nowhere else.

Coming from using an NHibernate / POCO stack in .NET where my domain
(model) objects were completely de-coupled from their persistence
behaviour, I've found it quite hard working with ActiveRecord
objects. It seems like the path of least resistance when you're
working with objects that inherit from ActiveRecord::Base is just to
put your TDD principles to one side, set up stock data in your
database, call the model from your tests and forget about trying to
mock anything out. Trying to get a mockable seam in between your own
model logic and ActiveRecord's persistence code seems to hard... at
least for me at this stage of my ruby learnings.

So, in summary, I guess I would advise you to mock wherever you can,
unless you're testing an object that inherits from ActiveRecord::Base.

People draw the line in lots of different places though, so you'll
probably find other people much less keen on mocking than me.

cheers,
Matt
----
http://blog.mattwynne.net