[rspec-users] Documentation for Plain-Text Stories

Jim Morris ml at e4net.com
Tue Aug 19 00:28:45 EDT 2008

aslak hellesoy wrote:

> I'm inviting you to provide some constructive feedback about how we
> could improve it to make the transition easier for people like
> yourself.

I'll give it a try, I'll port some of my stories to cucumber and see how it goes.

> A natural part of software evolution is that every now and then a
> tool, library or program gets replaced by something better. While it's
> certainly possible to maintain two different products, it takes a lot
> more time. Time that I don't have. Am I to understand from your email
> that you're stepping up and offering to help maintain and govern the
> future of the story runner?

True, but Story runner was only released in the last version of RSpec so it isn't exactly old.
Depending on how hard it is to port from story runner to cucumber, I'll have to make a decision to
either port, or maintain the old code, it is a trade off of time. Right now I have my entire
integration testing suite written using story runner.

On an initial look at cucumber it looks like the steps remain pretty much the same, although I see
you added Before and After, and I was using before story and after story listeners for setup, not
sure what scope the Before and After have. I also use a before Scenario listener to clear the
context before each scenario.

> What exactly is your understanding of deprecation and how have you
> concluded that you will have rewrite several thousands of LOC?

What I have seen in the Ruby world (and Java) is that deprecation means the next release prints some
warning that the feature is deprecated if you use it, then the following release it is removed entirely.

I'll site the Ruby Gem Sequel as an example of some recent deprecations, that caused me to go
through many lines of code and update them as the feature I was using was deprecated, and I
initially got a lot of warnings, then all my scripts stopped working after an upgrade.

Maybe I won't have to rewrite "thousands" of lines of code, at least I hope not, if the steps remain
the same, I guess I'll need to massage them and rewrite many of the scenarios to fit the new format.

I have to say my reaction is due to the fact that tests are something you want to write once and
forget, I don't mind writing new tests using cucumber moving forward, but to have to revisit old
tests is not a good use of my time. If you were to reword deprecation to frozen I'd be a lot happier
:) then I can leave my old tests alone and use cucumber for new tests.

--
Jim Morris, http://blog.wolfman.com