[rspec-users] Documentation for Plain-Text Stories

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 18:01:00 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Jim Morris <ml at e4net.com> wrote:
> aslak hellesoy wrote:
>> The RSpec Story runner is likely to be deprecated in favour of the new
>> feature runner (temporarily called Cucumber).
>> http://www.nabble.com/-ANN--Cucumber-td18876816.html
> This is REALLY bad news!! I asked this question a while back, I have a LOT
> of code using story runner, I have committed to do all my integration
> testing via stories, although the ruby style ones not the plain text ones.

Calm down.

You are not the only one who has invested in stories - plain text or
Ruby. I am also involved in a couple of projects that has lot of RSpec
stories. This is actually the main reason I wrote Cucumber - I got
tired of many of the shortcomings that I have outlined at the bottom
of Cucumber's README.

Nobody is going to delete the RSpec story runner. (Some said taking
something off the Internet is like taking pee out of a swimming pool).
For what I know it will still be available for download 20 years from
now. I am only making people aware of Cucumber and encouraging them to
invest in improving it rather than the old one.

I realise that in order for people to be able to make the switch
painlessly, there needs to be good documentation - both about how to
migrate old style stories and also general documentation about how to
use Cucumber. I intend to provide most of this, and welcome others to
join in. The code also needs to be more or less of a drop-in
replacement, and one of my primary goals going forward is to make it
exactly that.

FYI - Cucumber already supports pure Ruby style. It's not 100% similar
to RSpec Story runner in pure Ruby mode, but close.

I'm inviting you to provide some constructive feedback about how we
could improve it to make the transition easier for people like

A natural part of software evolution is that every now and then a
tool, library or program gets replaced by something better. While it's
certainly possible to maintain two different products, it takes a lot
more time. Time that I don't have. Am I to understand from your email
that you're stepping up and offering to help maintain and govern the
future of the story runner?

> To hear that they will be deprecated is not good news, and will cause me a
> lot of grief if I have to rewrite several thousand lines of code, or I
> simply won't be able to use the latest RSpec.

What exactly is your understanding of deprecation and how have you
concluded that you will have rewrite several thousands of LOC?

> I suggest that cucumber stay separate, and RSpec keep the story runner,
> either as core or as an add on.
> Deprecating something that is being used extensively will not make your
> users happy.

What David said.