[rspec-users] Autotest setup to run Story Runner?

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 17:00:30 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Ben Men <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Kamal Fariz wrote:
>> Can Story Runner run a specific scenario in a story? Like how Spec
>> Runner can just execute a particular example.
> I realize this question is a little old, but I have exactly the same
> need.
> The only solution I have is trying to build much smaller stories so that
> they run a bit quicker, though this can get messy.
> I would absolutely love to be able to run changed scenarios upon saving,
> like how autotest works for the specs.
> Has anyone achieved this yet?

That would be very difficult to do and to do well (with autotest or
RSpactor) since stories cover a complete vertical slice of the
application, and it'd be almost impossible to know what source file
(or method) affect will what stories.

Continuous integration works very well for this. Let another machine
pull an update (or you can push an update) and it runs the specs and
stories. When I was at Atomic Object I wrote a small growl notifier
which received updates from our continuous integration server telling
it when something failed. It was beautiful. Of course this was really
easy to write since the continuous integration server was written in a
way that allowed you to attach listeners (and remote monitors) to it
over the network.

Zach Dennis