[rspec-users] formatter writing output on different files

Stefano Crocco stefano.crocco at alice.it
Thu Aug 14 10:49:46 EDT 2008

Hello to every one,

First of all, sorry if this message has already reached the list. I sent it
yesterday, but since today I don't see it in the archives, I'm resending it.

I'm writing an application and using rspec to test it. I like very much it's
html output, since it allows me to look at it and see how something is
supposed to work. The only problem is that the list of example is quickly
growing to a size that makes looking for a particular example a bit time-
consuming. So I got the idea to split the output into several files. Something
like:

a_spec.rb -> a_results.html
b_spec.rb -> b_results.html

Since I put all the specs related to a class in a single spec file, this would
allow me to have a clear overview of the class and to be able to locate
quickly the example I'm looking for. The only problem is that, as far as I
know, rspec doesn't provide similar features.

So, I decided to try and write a custom rspec formatter which does what I
described above. Before I start coding, however, I'd like to know the answers
to some questions:

1) is there any reason my idea is not a good one?
2) has something like this already been implemented? I searched google, this
mailing list and the ruby mailing list, but found nothing
3) what's the best way for a formatter to access the name of the file an
example comes from? Looking at the RDoc documentation, the only way I found is
to use the Spec::Example::ExampleMethods#implementation_backtrace, which
contains the filename and line of the example in its first entry. Is this
reliable? Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance

Stefano