[rspec-users] Straw Poll: How are you using plain text stories (in rails)?

Christopher Bailey chris at cobaltedge.com
Wed Aug 6 10:47:16 EDT 2008

I'm using stories with Webrat, and really like it.  As mentioned, it
doesn't cover the JavaScript bit, but so far that's ok, we don't have
enough that I can't just test it manually (dread!).

But, yes, since starting to use stories, I'd guess I've written maybe
two or three controller tests, and have wound up deleting many of my
view tests (and don't use Rails integration tests at all).  So,
essentially, what it's boiling down to for me, is that I have my
examples for models, and then use stories for everything else.  There
have been a few tricky cases to do with stories, but otherwise I just
like it far better, and feel it's a much better and more effective way
to test since it's going to emulate what really happens on your site.

One of the things that's driven me to using stories so much more is
the fragile nature of the other tests, in that it seems like view and
controller tests break so much more easily with various changes,
whereas stories don't.  This likely depends on how much you test the
precise text and such on a page.

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:12 AM, Matt Wynne <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using rspec / rails for just over a week now, and I'm loving
> the specification framework.  The way I can group examples together
> feels really natural, and I'm finding the TDD flow terrific.
>
> Thus far I've used the describe / it "should..." syntax to basically do
> TDD of my controllers, views and models, with splendid isolation using
> the mocking framework. I've yet to write any 'integrations tests', in
> fact I'm not yet clear how much value they have.
>
> What originally attracted me to rspec was hearing Dan North talk about
> the plain text stories, and I had some fun in my previous life as a C#
> programmer using them to drive watir tests of an ASP.NET app.
>
> What I'm not sure about is how they're most appropriately used in rails.
>
> Are people generally using them, as I was in the .NET world, to drive
> selenium/watir acceptance tests, or do they have value as replacements
> to the rails 'integration tests'?
>
> How about webrat? or some other glue / tool that I haven't heard of yet?
>
> Just a quick answer from anyone out there using these tools would be
> great in order to get a feel for the current state of the art, and some
> fresh fuel for my googling!
>
> Sorry if this post is a bit rambling... thanks for bearing with me as I
> scramble up the learning curve!
>
> cheers,
> Matt
> --