[rspec-users] HTML Story Formatter

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 23:27:00 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Joseph Wilk <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>> Ahh, good to know.  Does that mean that the HTML isn't outputted until
>> all of the scenario's are ran for a particular story?
>
> Exactly. It made the html much nicer but did loose that per scenario
> output. I added a progress bar formatter so I could still get that
> direct scenario feedback, be it just a green dot or red F :)
>
> David are you happy with this html and dev-html formatter direction? If
> so I'll move this issue to lighthouse and start adding my patch.

Sorry for the long silence on this - just got back from my first
"computer-free" vacation in some years. I recommend it to everyone
(though some may wish to prepare themselves for assorted withdrawal
symptoms).

Anyhow - I'm not convinced one way or the other as to whether two
formatters for different audiences is better than a single html
formatter w/ some simple js to reveal backtraces. I can tell you from
my experience with FitNesse that the backtraces were sometimes
life-saving and sometimes simply annoying. Having the option to show
it but have it hidden on load would be nice.

Anybody else wanna chime in on this?