[rspec-users] Spec Server on Windows - missing fork

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Sat Aug 2 20:51:12 EDT 2008

On Aug 2, 2008, at 4:43 PM, Luis Lavena wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Mark Wilden <mark.wilden at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> spec_server is one of the hidden gems of the RSpec world. It's not
>> completely a slam-dunk to use, and I know people who don't use it
>> because of
>> various problems, but it's worth working through those problems,
>> especially
>> if you do T/BDD.
> Yes, is a hidden gem but also have is own glitches.
> One is the lack of possiblity to actually quit gracefully (they need
> to trap INT and properly stop the DRb server.
> Second and trickest one is reloading of the environment. Right now if
> you change parts that are outside the reload mechanism of Rails,
> spec_server will fail. Haven't had time to investigate into it, sorry.

Yeah - this is usually the trickiest.  Generally, as long as something
is loaded (instead of required) everything should work fine.  Also -
be advised that if you set cache_classes = true in your test
environment, this is doing the same as requiring your files, meaning
the spec_server won't work at all.