[rspec-users] Spec Server on Windows - missing fork

Mark Wilden mark.wilden at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 17:49:07 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:

> One is the lack of possiblity to actually quit gracefully (they need
> to trap INT and properly stop the DRb server.

I just do rake spec:server:stop. This is necessary before running rake spec,
for instance, since rake spec drops the test database which spec_server
keeps open.

Second and trickest one is reloading of the environment. Right now if
> you change parts that are outside the reload mechanism of Rails,
> spec_server will fail. Haven't had time to investigate into it, sorry.

I have a shell script called spec_restart, which just does a rake
spec:server:stop followed by rake spec:server:start. I can't say I use it
very much, though.

> I use autotest, I just save the file and it's executed, then I get the
> total test results without distraction, beat that ;-)

I use autotest, too (well, rspactor, which is much the same thing). But it
loads the Rails environment every time it's triggered. The whole point of
spec_server is that it doesn't have to do that. autotest also runs entire
spec file(s). With my little script, only one spec gets run, which helps
keep things narrowed down while debugging.

With both autotest and spec_server running, you kind of get the best of both
worlds - you can T/BDD one spec at a time very quickly but also make sure
that any other potentially affected specs are run too. Before you check in,
of course, you do a rake spec.