[rspec-users] Spec Server on Windows - missing fork

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 16:43:12 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Mark Wilden <mark.wilden at gmail.com> wrote:
> spec_server is one of the hidden gems of the RSpec world. It's not
> completely a slam-dunk to use, and I know people who don't use it because of
> various problems, but it's worth working through those problems, especially
> if you do T/BDD.

Yes, is a hidden gem but also have is own glitches.

One is the lack of possiblity to actually quit gracefully (they need
to trap INT and properly stop the DRb server.

Second and trickest one is reloading of the environment. Right now if
you change parts that are outside the reload mechanism of Rails,
spec_server will fail. Haven't had time to investigate into it, sorry.

The other one is related to ANSI escape, at least on Windows.
spec_server takes spec/spec.opts and enable ANSI colors if the option
is present, but that still confuses script/spec -X and generate
garbage.

> I've set up a vim script that runs just the current spec, where "current" is
> defined as "the last spec the cursor was on" (even if you're editing the
> model or whatever). Wherever I am, I can just hit Ctrl-X and see the results
> of the test almost instantly. Beat that, TextMate!

I use autotest, I just save the file and it's executed, then I get the
total test results without distraction, beat that ;-)

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17