[rspec-users] Spec Server on Windows - missing fork

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 12:38:50 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Dean Radcliffe <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> Really tired of 30 second startup times to run Test::Unit tests, I would
> give my left pinky for a solution to running spec_server on windows. Is
> there some monkey patch that can avoid daemonizing the process
> altogether (Im fine if it runs as any kind of process at all). TIA.
> Error below - I have open3 and win32-process already but no dice.
>
> Dean
>
> > rake spec:server:start
> (in C:/ChessOnRails/trunk)
> Starting up spec server.
> Ready
> script/spec_server:81:in `fork': fork() function is unimplemented on
> this machine (NotImplementedErr
> or)
>        from script/spec_server:81:in `daemonize'
>        from script/spec_server:113

No fork() love for us Windows users, try putting this into a batch file
(like spec_server.bat)

@echo off
start "spec_server" /min ruby.exe script\spec_server

One problem is that spec_server is not trapping Ctrl-C, so you will require
to use Ctrl-break to stop the minized spec_server.

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17