[rspec-users] Creating stories for the second resource. Very wet appro

Bart Zonneveld loop at superinfinite.com
Fri Apr 18 14:16:44 EDT 2008

On 17 apr 2008, at 15:44, Joseph Wilk wrote:
> Hello,
> I've come across a similar problem. Sharing the steps is the easy bit.
> And I've started to create a 'useful_steps.rb' for storing very common
> steps.

So have I. I use a lot of "Given a number of flurps in the system",
and "When I add a new zoink", most as as refactored and abstracted as
possible in common_steps.rb. Also, a form_steps.rb for common webrat

> I have just copy and pasted the plain text stories before but since
> they
> use the same steps, there was little new steps to write.

..which isn't wrong per se imho. Steps for removing, and editing a
post all start from the same initial state, "Given an existing post".

> It feels like the steps are where you want to keep it dry but the
> stories are the domain specific language to writing
> acceptance/integration tests.

Exactly. Stories may share steps, but the overal flow is always
different. If not, your stories aren't 100% accurate.

> So it is similar problem to saying that models contain lots of
> 'has_ones' and hence are not dry.

Nice analogy :)