[rspec-users] rspec + github == !submodules

Jonathan Leighton j at jonathanleighton.com
Thu Apr 17 12:01:55 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 08:49 -0400, David Chelimsky wrote:
> This all make sense?

Ok, I have to confess I haven't been paying that much attention to the
way things are or were set out on github, so let me see if I'm fully
understanding what you're saying...

Was "rspec" previously split up into several repositories, with a
"parent" repository which contained the other repositories as
submodules? So you are essentially saying that it is a bad idea to split
one single project into a number of pieces and manage that project
through submodules? However, you do consider submodules to be a good
idea if you are using and wish to track third-party upstream code, for
example plugins in a Rails project?

Jonathan Leighton